May 20, 2009

Review of the Canon Powershot G10

A favorite camera of mine to grab and go. Picture quality rivals many DSLRs and without the bulk. Boasts 14.7MP and a wide angle lens that retracts to allow the camera to fit into a jacket pocket. Features RAW image recording along with all the fun Canon menu options such as Stitch-Assist, Color Swap and Color Accent.
I've had the Canon G10 for about 3 months now and haven't had many complaints. Shutter speed can tend to be slow for low lighting if you are trying to avoid using the flash. Images will show blur no matter how steady you try to hold the camera, but Ive found some ways around it. If you don't have access to a tripod, either set the camera on a solid surface and turn on shutter delay or use the ISO 3200 option. ISO 3200 reduces the amount of MP the camera can use however.
RAW images take up large amounts of space on memory cards. I average about 180 pictures on a 4 GB card. Also be sure to invest in the highest speed cards, otherwise it can take all day to download pics to your computer. I've noticed the neck strap seems to be an odd fit for such a small camera so I've made a slight change. I put a wrist strap on the camera for added security since it can be hard to find a good grip at times. Then I put the camera in a small case with a pocket large enough for the charger and sling in over my shoulder. Other small flaws include: lack of any sort of decent zoom and autofocus on moving objects tends to be unusable.
Overall a great little camera. 9/10.
Visit my website to see my work including travel, freelance and portrait photography.
Thomas Pellatt
Website
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Thomas_Pellatt

No comments:

Post a Comment